Saturday, March 05, 2005

Coding Fieldnotes

Here are my ideas for coding my fieldnotes. I only have a few "log" entries for my 102 class, the one I hate, so I was thinking of analyzing one of my classes responses. I was thinking of looking at the reflective writing my students did for the collage assignment, and, I don't know exactly, but coding some groups or categories for their responses in terms of how much is metacognitive writing, how much is simply summary, how much is off-task filler / THEMEWRITING, or something along those lines.

It might be interesting as well to take a look at the work of this 102 class I hate. Maybe I could look at the essays they handed in last week, Positioning Yourself as a Researcher, and maybe I could just look to see how they understood the assignment and who, if anyone, addressed all the issues they were asked to address. I might find that this class is simply NOT PAYING ATTENTION. Would this make me feel better about the class, or understand what's going on in the class more? It might make me change my delivery method. Right now, I lecture at them, previewing the assignment, but many times, their eyes just glaze over. Maybe I could have them read the assignment on their own, or in groups, and then have them rewrite it in their own words and post that to WebCT. The problem with that is they might just parrot back at me what I've said without really considering the issues involved.

Or, I might analyze something with my hybrid or online classes. I'd like to look at their writing to see if there is evidence of growth in terms of voice and audience. I know with the last discussion prompt, Jason and Bradley's responses were excellent, and atypical of the standard discussion response in that they had made what appeared to be conscious rhetorical decisions about establishing voice. I pointed this out tot he rest of the class and we talked about these two responses.

We'll see. I'll have to get to work on it tomorrow, assuming I feel better! I can't sleep; I keep couching, hacking really, and my throat is completely raw.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home