Evaluating Blogs
Damn, I came across a blog this morning. It was one that was highlighted on blogspot's homepage, I clicked, starting reading and couldn't stop. I will find the address and link it shortly, but let me describe it first.
This was a blog written by a young college student, at least I assume it was a college student, possibly high school, but i seriously doubt. The author was using the blog as essentially a personal journal, and the plot was very much like a sopa opera -- "H said this about me which amde me mad and I wanted to get revenge so I did this" -- stuff like that, which, under normal circumstances, BORES me to tears, but this blog was engaging, and I kept reading. In fact, I was interested and engaged. Why? Why? Why?
I think, sadly, I related on some level. This blog spoke to human issues, feeling vulnrable, shamed, vengeful, angry etc. Moreover, the blog was written like this: "I wish I was so hurt by what H said about me, but when I heard about it from K2, I just felt betrayed. I had trusted H and told him in complete confidence. Normally, I wouldnt reveal these sorts of things to people, but H had made me feel so safe and secure." Do you see a pattern here. The whole "plot" of the piece is so general as to almost apply to anyone, in almost any situation. I mean, who hasn't been betrayed in this way, and the author of this piece doesn't give us enough specifics to actually make it stick to HER, but, rather, it sticks to each and every reader. As I was reading, I related because I was recalling instances of the same treatment and feelings; I filled in the blanks on my own, and this made this an engaging read.
Okay, took me forever, but I finally found the url: http://tangiblethoughts.blogspot.com/2005/09/utter-confusion.html
I was side-traked by another blog, some dude travelling around Europe drinking and pimping his way acorss the continent. Primarily, this blog is a journal for recording the author's experiences. He is not very reflective, doesn't write a lot, but posts lots of pictures, some adult-only, but mainly the blog is recalls a big SILVER SPOON. The pics are nice though, makes me want to hop on the metro to Lambert and take off, but, ahh, real life intrudes on my dreams daily.
God, I hate to admit it, but I'm drawn to the personal blogs! Weird. I've been rambling around looking for blogs of note, and each time I settle on a blog and actually get into reading it, it's a personal blog. The blog I just finished reading -- http://anchorednomad.blogspot.com/ -- caught my attention becaaue of the layout. It's different, professional, colorful, has graphics. At first, I thought it was a magazine or newspaper site, The Anchored Nomad, what a great name.
This blog, while personal, has connections to the outside world. You'll notice a list of links to local (to her, Chicago) and worldy blogs running down the left frame. The blog is quirky, about cupcakes, her bank statement, a blue pen exploding in her ear on the train to work, her monthly cycle (LOL), and so on. There's an honesty here that is captivating, plus the prose is REALLY good.
In each of these cases, the writing is primarily personal or meditative. This does not mean, necessarily, that they are written for an audience of one, because I think both the writers understand strangers will be reading them, but they don't seem to care. These blogs are not intended to change the world, their audience is not the president or UN, nor are they focused around an issue or idea, just the SELF. They both have a voyeuristic quality and I think it is that type of person who would enjoy reading them, and because of this, these blogs do not, in their construction alone, encourage social connections; however, it may be the blatant honesty that will, in the end, encourage readers to respond.
Probably, the biggest barrier to blogs becoming a serious venue for exchanging information is what they have become -- online journals. As a construct, the blog is an excellent paradigm for building social/learning connections, but probably, in practical use, they are evolving into something quite different, at least based on what I have seen in reviewing random blogs on Blogspot.
This was a blog written by a young college student, at least I assume it was a college student, possibly high school, but i seriously doubt. The author was using the blog as essentially a personal journal, and the plot was very much like a sopa opera -- "H said this about me which amde me mad and I wanted to get revenge so I did this" -- stuff like that, which, under normal circumstances, BORES me to tears, but this blog was engaging, and I kept reading. In fact, I was interested and engaged. Why? Why? Why?
I think, sadly, I related on some level. This blog spoke to human issues, feeling vulnrable, shamed, vengeful, angry etc. Moreover, the blog was written like this: "I wish I was so hurt by what H said about me, but when I heard about it from K2, I just felt betrayed. I had trusted H and told him in complete confidence. Normally, I wouldnt reveal these sorts of things to people, but H had made me feel so safe and secure." Do you see a pattern here. The whole "plot" of the piece is so general as to almost apply to anyone, in almost any situation. I mean, who hasn't been betrayed in this way, and the author of this piece doesn't give us enough specifics to actually make it stick to HER, but, rather, it sticks to each and every reader. As I was reading, I related because I was recalling instances of the same treatment and feelings; I filled in the blanks on my own, and this made this an engaging read.
Okay, took me forever, but I finally found the url: http://tangiblethoughts.blogspot.com/2005/09/utter-confusion.html
I was side-traked by another blog, some dude travelling around Europe drinking and pimping his way acorss the continent. Primarily, this blog is a journal for recording the author's experiences. He is not very reflective, doesn't write a lot, but posts lots of pictures, some adult-only, but mainly the blog is recalls a big SILVER SPOON. The pics are nice though, makes me want to hop on the metro to Lambert and take off, but, ahh, real life intrudes on my dreams daily.
God, I hate to admit it, but I'm drawn to the personal blogs! Weird. I've been rambling around looking for blogs of note, and each time I settle on a blog and actually get into reading it, it's a personal blog. The blog I just finished reading -- http://anchorednomad.blogspot.com/ -- caught my attention becaaue of the layout. It's different, professional, colorful, has graphics. At first, I thought it was a magazine or newspaper site, The Anchored Nomad, what a great name.
This blog, while personal, has connections to the outside world. You'll notice a list of links to local (to her, Chicago) and worldy blogs running down the left frame. The blog is quirky, about cupcakes, her bank statement, a blue pen exploding in her ear on the train to work, her monthly cycle (LOL), and so on. There's an honesty here that is captivating, plus the prose is REALLY good.
In each of these cases, the writing is primarily personal or meditative. This does not mean, necessarily, that they are written for an audience of one, because I think both the writers understand strangers will be reading them, but they don't seem to care. These blogs are not intended to change the world, their audience is not the president or UN, nor are they focused around an issue or idea, just the SELF. They both have a voyeuristic quality and I think it is that type of person who would enjoy reading them, and because of this, these blogs do not, in their construction alone, encourage social connections; however, it may be the blatant honesty that will, in the end, encourage readers to respond.
Probably, the biggest barrier to blogs becoming a serious venue for exchanging information is what they have become -- online journals. As a construct, the blog is an excellent paradigm for building social/learning connections, but probably, in practical use, they are evolving into something quite different, at least based on what I have seen in reviewing random blogs on Blogspot.

1 Comments:
Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! I just stopped to say hello, I am a blogging enthusiast..My Blog may not be of interest to you but if it is then this may be good Parablogs
not a related site. It isnt anything special but you may still find something of interest.
Post a Comment
<< Home