Monday, January 30, 2006

Bloggers

Blogging, as a daily activity, seems to be gaining momentum in the online world. It seems more and more people, from a wide-ranging demographic, are building and maintaining blogs everyday. I'm not part of this culture, although I should be because (a) I like to write, and (b) I like to be online, BUT, (c) I'm lazy and undisciplined always gets in the way.

I've spent some time reading blogs, from the personal to the academic, and am always intrigued by both sorts. Some of the personal blogs I've read are examples of great writing -- interesting, engaging, and ultimately about more than just someone's life and online journeys. The same, of course, is true of the academic blog I've read.

As a blogger, I've never really been motivated to maintain a blog. Yes, I have one here, but I dont use it for blogging purposes. The idea behind a blog is to create a web of knowledge by writing about and linking to others' online writing and ideas. Many blogs these days are more like personal diaries, online, which is sort of how I use my blogspace -- I fill it with whatever I happen to be doing or working on at the moment. So, for example, if I need "space" to work while I'm teaching my classes, I use my blog, or if I am working on something for work and need to sort my ideas out, I use my blog, or when I am reading materials for classes I am taking and feel compelled to record or write about what I am reading, I use my blog. I rarely use it for personal reasons, for writing essays or talking about what I did this past weekend, but, then again I rarely do that sort of writing anyway, although I probably should so I can begin working on creative nonfiction again.

What do I know about these people -- bloggers? I know they are connected to the online world, come from a variety of backgrounds -- young and old, educated and otherwise, rich - middle class - poor, men and woman, girls and boys, I know spam has popped up on blogs and you can get a blog for free from companies such as blogspot.

I think these people are social and extroverted, for the most part. I think it takes a certain amount of courage to lay yourself out in front of the cyber world everyday. I believe many bloggers are using blogs as diaries and journals rather than what they are intended for, and because of this, I think the definition of a blog is changing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home